Plant-based jerky isn’t just for munching on road trips or long-haul flights. You can take classic recipes up a notch by adding in some plant-based jerky for a delicious “meaty” kick. You can incorporate this versatile snack into pasta, sandwiches, salads and more.
Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy plant-based jerky as part of easy to make, crowd pleasing recipes.
These Vietnamese style lemongrass spring rolls are perfect to enjoy on a warm summer afternoon. They are a crisp and fresh dish that you can eat with your hands, making them a great picnic or potluck snack. Or you can throw them into a container for a work or school lunch.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serving size: 3-4
– 1 onion – diced
– 1/2 cup lemongrass – minced
– 2 teaspoons avocado oil
– 1 cup vegetable broth
– 2 bags of It’s Jerky Y’all Prickly Pear Teriyaki flavor
– 10 rice paper wrappers
– A bowl of warm water (wide enough to dip the rice paper)
– 2 medium cucumbers, cut into thin sticks
– 1 head of romaine lettuce
– 1/2 a head of purple cabbage, shredded
– Mint and basil leaves washed and drained
– ¼ cup of natural peanut butter
– 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon agave
– 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
– ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
1. Dice and sauté the onion and lemongrass in the avocado oil on high heat until the onion softens, and the lemongrass is fragrant.
2. Add It’s Jerky Y’all’s Prickly Pear jerky and vegetable broth to the pan and toss until it’s fully coated.
3. Turn the heat down to low-medium, cover the pan, and let it simmer until the jerky has soaked up the liquid completely. Turn the stove off and set the jerky aside to use in the assembly of the spring rolls.
4. Prepare the cucumber, cabbage, lettuce and herbs
5. To assemble the rolls, gather all the ingredients, and fill a wide bowl with warm water to soften the rice paper wrappers. Dip a wrapper in the water and rotate it to ensure the entire wrapper is moist. Lay the wrapper flat on a plate or cutting board. Arrange the fillings on the wrapper: greens, veggies, cucumbers, herbs, and a few pieces of lemongrass jerky. Roll and repeat.
6. Prepare the peanut sauce by whisking together all ingredients in a bowl.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Hearty Jerky and Vegetable Stew
Warm yourself from the inside – out with this hearty jerky and vegetable stew. This filling recipe is our twist on an autumn classic and pairs great with some fresh bread and your favorite stout. It’s packed with healthy vegetables and the plant-based jerky gives it a nice meaty flavor. This stew freezes well, so you can make a big batch and then easily heat it up as needed.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Serving size: 6
– 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil (or other light oil of choice)
– 4 cups of vegetable broth
– 2 bags of It’s Jerky Y’all Prickly Pear Chipotle flavor
– 4 cups of peeled and cubed potato
– 1 onion, diced
– 3 large carrots, chopped
– 2 cloves of minced garlic
– 3 stalks of celery, chopped
– ½ teaspoon of rosemary
– ½ teaspoon of thyme
– ½ teaspoon of pepper
– 1 tablespoon of salt
– 2 bay leaves
– 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
– ¾ cup of red wine (dry)
– ¼ cup of flour
1. Prepare the vegetables
2. In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat until it starts to simmer, then add the onions, celery, and carrots. Fry for about 5 minutes until the onions become soft.
3. Add the garlic, all herbs and spices and the tomato paste. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the flour to the pan and stir until it’s entirely absorbed. Then add the red wine, and stir well.
5. Add the vegetable broth, potatoes and bay leaves. Increase the heat and bring the stew to a boil. Once boiling, you can reduce to low/medium heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. You will know it’s done when the stew has thickened and the potatoes are soft.
6. Take out the bay leaves and dig in!
Plant-based Jerky Mac & Cheez
Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t like macaroni and cheese? Mac and cheese is a crowd-pleaser, and our plant-based version is just as good as the original (in our opinion, even better!). Throwing in some of our delicious It’s Jerky Y’all Black Pepper and Sea Salt jerky gives this mac and cheez a meaty, peppery kick!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Serving Size: 3
– 1 bag of It’s Jerky Y’all Black Pepper and Sea Salt (soak in warm water and cut into chunks)
– ½ cup of raw cashews (soaked)
– 1 large carrot (peeled and roasted)
– ¼ cup of nutritional yeast
– 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
– ½ cup of water
– ¼ teaspoon onion powder
– ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 3 cups of macaroni noodles of choice
1. Soak cashews for 4-6 hours (or soak overnight in the fridge)
2. Peel and roast the carrot
3. Soak It’s Jerky Y’all plant-based jerky in warm water to soften and cut into small chunks
4. Drain cashews and blend with nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, water and spices.
5. Cook the macaroni and drain.
6. Add the cheez sauce and jerky to the pasta and stir well.
7. Serve and enjoy!
This chipotle fiesta salad is a fresh and tasty lunch option that’s easy to throw together. The chipotle gives it a bit of spicy kick, but it’s still mild enough for those with sensitive palettes. Bring this salad to a backyard barbeque, pack it for lunch, or serve it alongside a soup or pasta for dinner.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: N/A
Serving Size: 2-4
– 1 bag of It’s Jerky Y’all Prickly Pear Chipotle flavor
– 1 head of romaine lettuce
– 1/2 cup of corn
– 1/2 cup of black beans (rinsed)
– 2 teaspoons of chili powder
– 1 tablespoon of lime juice
– 1/3 cup of onion (diced)
– 1/3 cup of poblano pepper (diced)
– 1/3 cup of tomato (diced)
– Cilantro and sliced jalapeños (for garnish)
– 1/2 cup of vegan mayo
– 3 tablespoons of chipotle sauce
– 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
– 1 teaspoon of chili powder
1. Wash and rough chop romaine lettuce and add to a large serving bowl.
2. Rinse black beans and mix with the corn in a small bowl. Add the lime juice and chili powder and stir.
3. Add the diced onion, poblano and tomato.
4. Top with It’s Jerky Y’all Prickly Pear Chipotle
5. Prepare the dressing by whisking together all ingredients and then pour the dressing over the salad.
6. Garnish with cilantro and jalapeños (optional).
Cooking with plant-based jerky
Our plant-based beef jerky makes a delicious addition to your favorite salads, wraps, sandwiches, pasta and more! Let us know your favorite way to use It’s Jerky Y’all!